This all sounds good, but...
what exactly makes an application social?
what are the key attributes of a social web application?
Since social web applications are built to encourage communication between people, they typically emphasize some combination of the following social attributes:
- Identity: who are you?
- Reputation: what do people think you stand for?
- Presence: where are you?
- Relationships: who are you connected with? who do you trust?
- Groups: how do you organize your connections?
- Conversations: what do you discuss with others?
- Sharing: what content do you make available for others to interact with?
Examples of social web applications include:
- General: Blogs, Walls/Forums, Picture/Video Sharing and tagging, Favorites/Social Bookmarks, Feeds, Events, Email/Messaging, Notification, Invitation, etc.
- Commerce-Oriented: User rating and reviews, Referral programs, Wish List, Wedding/Baby Registries, Gift List, etc.
- Brand Enhancement/Awareness-Oriented: Forums/Walls, Games/Contests, Polls, Goal Tracking/Rewards Programs, Advertising Engine, etc.